To ensure you get the most life out of your roof, just like with your health, it needs to have regular "check-ups" and maintenance. Winter can be very damaging to a roofing system, things like poor ventilation, ice dams, missing shingles and faulty flashings or vents can cause unwanted damage to the inside of your home. Once the snow melts and you can visually see your roof and inspect your attic from the inside, look out for some of the issues below:
- Wavy or Missing shingles
- Exposed nails
- Cracked or missing caulking
- Rusty flashing
- Roof granules in the gutters
- Over-flowing gutters
- Rotting fascia board
- Loose drip edge or gutter apron
- Cracked rubber around pipe boots
- Moisture or "wet spots" on the wood in the attic
- Check kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans to ensure proper ventilation
- Any wet spots that may form on the inside of your home.
Make sure to always be safe while inspecting the Exterior of your house, observe from the ground. If you suspect an issue always call a professional roofing contractor to diagnose the problem. Keeping up with the maintenance of your roof and fixing repairs as soon as possible can save your roof and the interior of your home.
Subscribe to EAS Roofing's Blog